Monday, January 25, 2021

Damn You MCDM Productions!

I'm a huge fan of MCDM Productions . Matt Colville and later on the rest of his team have done some pretty incredible work the last few years with Strongholds & Followers and now Kingdoms & Warfare. A lot of which I've incorporated into my game and continue to do so.

What I wanted to talk about real quick today though is their latest release, their test run at a monthly magazine which they've called Arcadia. Beautiful artwork, eye catching layouts and content that's actionable in your game of 5th edition D&D or as some inspiration to convert to whatever you play, this first pass at it is a pretty stellar success as far as I'm concerned.

With that in mind, I'm rather upset with the magazine. I'm currently running a group through Rime of the Frost Maiden and through a series of choices and no small amount of luck the players ended up recovering a Shield Guardian that they now control and it has already proven to be a very powerful weapon against the Duergar of Icewind Dale. How they went about it was pretty cool and everyone had a good time.

The timing of Arcadia's release a week after that happened has upset me because one of the Adventures in the magazine is a far cooler way for a group to earn themselves a Shield Guardian than what I managed to scrape together out of what was in WOTC's module. It could have been very relevant and actionable content for my game but now it's too late and I've burned the "earn a Shield Guardian" card for this group meaning I won't get to use it any time soon.

Damn you MCDM for your great but ill timed content release!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Story Marches On

After party fell inside the frozen fortress of Grimskalle I presented my players with a couple of options. We could call this campaign a wra...