Saturday, January 2, 2021

Torches & Rations

The first thing I wanted to dive into here is sort of encompassed by the name of this blog, Torches and Rations.  In other words, the resources an adventurer needs to go out and do their job. The list is obviously longer than these two things but calling the blog Torches and Rations and Water and Iron Spikes and Horse Feed and 10 Foot Poles seemed rather silly and I've been told brevity is the soul of wit.

I recently read a great post by Rick Stump on his Don't Split the Party blog from April of last year that gives a very good cause and effect explanation of what I'm trying to accomplish with what I'm about to explain.

One of the things that 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons has done to the game, is made the actual effort of adventuring and exploring almost non-existent. Many low level or even cantrip spells, as well as species and background specific abilities drastically reduce or eliminate the need to plan ahead and ready the group for an adventuring expedition.

I wished to do away with this and as it turns out it didn't require as much work as you may think. A bit of shuffling and a couple of spells removed from the PHB spell list and suddenly "Forget the Dragon! How are we going to avoid starvation on the long distance trek to and from the Lonely Mountain?" is back on the table.

The basic idea here is to eliminate food, water and light sources that are either free or have become far too cheap as editions have crept ever onward. Let's look at which ones I've altered one at a time, beginning with the meat of the changes, cantrips.

Cantrips

I should preface this section by saying I'm not entirely sold on the concept of cantrips continuing to exist to begin with, but that's a battle I'll fight with my players another time (I have some good reasons but I'll spring those on you once I've picked out the particular hill I want to die on).

Dancing Lights

The fancy man's Light cantrip, this spell is useful for it's ability to daisy chain the light sources to illuminate a larger, more complex area at a greater range but sacrificing that oh so important Concentration to do so. I'm a fan of its functionality, but being able to do it without an associated cost is a no go. This spell moves to 1st level with its Concentration duration increasing to 10 minutes to compensate.

Light

This spell by itself almost completely eliminates the need to worry about light of any sort at any time, ever. Being on the spell list for almost every caster means somebody in the group is going to have it and ruin what we're trying to accomplish. This spell moves to 1st level with its duration increasing to 2 hours to compensate. This way it's costing you a spell slot but lasts longer than a torch and doesn't weigh anything.

Produce Flame

I was tempted to just say this spell doesn't produce light anymore, but without that aspect it's basically a terrible Firebolt and already sucked to begin with. Druids shouldn't be setting stuff on fire anyway. Removed this spell from the list.

Spare the Dying

This spell instantly stabilizing a fallen person makes 5e's already really soft death mechanic downright plush. It also has the side effect of making the anyone who decided to pick up proficiency in Medicine and a Healer's Kit feel like they wasted their character options. This spell moves to 1st level.

Mending

Whoever decided the spell levels for 5e must not have thought about this one for very long. The ability to undo any damage done to any physical object (bearing in mind you can cast this spell for free any number of times you wish) is crazy good and could eliminate entire adventure paths with a single casting. Such power should not be a Cantrip. This spell moves to 2nd level.

Leveled Spells

Only a few changes here, most of the resource management elimination was crammed into cantrips and very low level spells. Even if I feel some low level spells are fairly powerful, them costing any resource at all means players will have to weigh options which is the whole point of this.

Create or Destroy Water

While I'm slightly saddened by the loss of the destroy half, being able to create drinkable water in massive quantities as a 1st level spell is too powerful. The way this could stretch out to the ecology of a world is too widespread to go into here but suffice to say it's better to just get rid of it unless that's something you're going for. Remove this spell from the list.

Goodberry

I don't even feel like I have to justify this one. Remove this spell from the list.

Create Food and Water

Being a 3rd level spell means a wizard is giving up a cast of their beloved Fireball to feed and water the party. I'm almost okay with that, but 3rd level spells come at 5th character level which I think is still a point at which I like my group to have to deal with the day to day struggles of being an adventurer for just a little while longer before they graduate away from such things. I've moved this spell to 5th level to be in line with older editions of the game, but 4th would probably be okay too. It also gains the ability to create more (15 people or 5 mounts worth) per spell level above 5th.

Heroes' Feast

This spell gets moved up mostly as a consequence of Create Food and Water migrating. But also because the other benefits it provides are incredibly powerful. A potential 130 temporary HP spread across the group and their minions, as well as WIS saves at advantage is fairly potent stuff. This spell moves to 8th level.

That's it. I think with the changes to this small handful of spells will drastically change how much players are forced to think about they plan and supply for their adventuring expeditions, at least in terms of supplies.

There's one other spell that needs looking at, but that's going to involve its own post because the way Identify as well the identification and attunement of magic items in general works in 5th edition is terrible and I've hated it since Day 1.

Oh yeah! I almost forgot the the other parts I mentioned at the beginning of this so I'll cover them real quick. I think 5e's Backgrounds are pretty lame to begin with and the passive abilities they provide are wildly imbalanced so just ignore any of those that provide free resources to the player.  Also Elves have to sleep. Having a watch rotation is important as part of how random encounters lend danger to dungeon diving (my thoughts on which I'll get into at a later date) and Legolas being up all night staring into space looking for bad guys ruins that.

Don't forget that flint and tinder to light all those torches you're going to have to carry now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Story Marches On

After party fell inside the frozen fortress of Grimskalle I presented my players with a couple of options. We could call this campaign a wra...